TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Notice from the Supreme Court of the State of New York

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Notice from the Supreme Court of the State of New York

Postby Cazmia » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 pm

I live in a 5 unit Bronx bldg. Today, I received a "NOTICE OF ENTRY". This is court paperwork. In it, it says "AN ORDER WAS SERVED TO APPOINT A SUBSTITUTE REFEREE ON (DATE) TO COMPUTE AND TO CONDUCT A FORECLOSURE SALE WITH NOTICE OF ENTRY TO DEFENDANTS WHO HAVE APPEARED IN THIS ACTION".

My LL's name, my own name and other names of tenants in this bldg are in this "booklet" of paperwork. Can someone explain what this means to us, as tenants?

I know it can't be good, but does notice of entry mean someone will be forcing their way into our apts?
Cazmia

Postby TenantNet » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:24 pm

Notice of entry does not mean they will be breaking down the doors. "Entry" means a decision is served on an opposing party, and that starts the clock ticking for an appeal. To put it in Housing Court context, if the LL took you to court and for whatever reason, he lost and the judge issued a written decision. Then you (as the winning party) would serve a copy of the decision on the LL (the losing party) along with a "notice of entry." The notice is later filed with the Court Clerk along with proof of service (service needs to be done by a non-party).

So if you were a party to this proceeding (apparently a foreclosure proceeding), then that's you notice. In many cases tenants have no idea what is going on. So I would get some legal advice and find out what has occurred so far. The tenants should form a tenant association. They may need it down the line.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments