TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Staying few Days after the Lease Agmt: What are my Rights?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Staying few Days after the Lease Agmt: What are my Rights?

Postby woodslegend » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi,

My lease is expiring soon, and I cannot move out until 5 days after lease as the new property I am moving into is not ready yet. My current property is under a management control and they neither answer my phone call nor available to talk to in person, for me to request them for staying beyond lease for around couple of days (less than a week). What are my rights in this situation? I cannot afford paying full month's rent just for those few days. And the management is not available for negotiations to go on a prorated basis.

Can I just stay after the lease agreement? I am afraid that they might keep my security deposit just because I am going to stay for those couple if days?

Thank you all in advance...
woodslegend

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 pm

I don't know what you mean by "under management control."

You essentially have two choices:

1.) negotiate with the LL for a reasonable rent for the extra days you stay over, or

2.) stay for the time you need and see what they demand, possibly in court.

Remember, they can't just kick you out; they would need to commence a court proceeding to have you removed. Chances are you would be gone by the time it gets any traction, but the LL could still come after you for the rent, possibly for a full month.

And without an agreement, chances are they will try to hold onto the security deposit. Did you consider holding back on the last month's rent in anticipation of their not refunding the deposit? (of course, this discussion does not consider real damages, for which you might be liable).

And BTW, you do have other options. one is called a hotel for five days. Another is to stay in an unfinished unit. You don't specify what "not ready" means. Can you handle a sleeping bag or a cot for a few days?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments