TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sublet Room-Medical Emergency forces me to move out early

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Sublet Room-Medical Emergency forces me to move out early

Postby hawkesnest » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:26 pm

I agreed to sublet a room in NYC for a 4 month period. The Master landlord is unaware and has not given prior approval to the sublandlord which I believe is required. I pay month to month for the period of 4 months. I have paid on time for the 2 months I've been here. There was a written agreement established but never signed. The agreement was sent to me with incorrect information and incomplete. It states that one section is mandated by "California" law though I'm subletting in NYC. It also states that agreement is in force from 2/1-6/1, a period of "7" months. It is actually a period of 4 months. It states that I am subject to the terms of the Master Agreement which was to be provided with the sublet agreement but was not. I made mention of this and haven't yet received it. Additionally, there is no early termination clause within the unsigned agreement. Sadly, I suffered a grand mal seizure, due to an existing brain tumor, at work a week ago and my current medical condition requires me to go back home for care in the state in which I am covered. This is an unplanned situation to which I have regret and sadness but nonetheless, I have no other option. I've given notice to the sub landlord and she has requested that I pay the additional 2 months in which I will not reside there. I cannot afford this if I cannot work. This circumstance is as difficult for me but out of my control. Any advice on my liability? Your response is greatly appreciated.
hawkesnest

Postby Emeraldstar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi All
My view from your post is that since there is no formal agreement there is zip in terms of holding you libal for two months room rent. If you stay into April it's reasonable to give her pro rated rent if she accepts it & leave by the date you say or if it's the entire month pay the month.
I will suggest that you remove any important items/papers & put them in a safety deposit box asap. Sometimes the one responsiable for the rent may show your room.
I'm familar with seizures & wish you the best of health /luck. Stay calm & don't get stressed.
Emeraldstar

Postby ronin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:21 am

This is a medical emergency. Just get your stuff and go home. You shouldn't be stressing about a rent that was never in writing (signed) for a space you won't be using.

Grand mal is no joke. Go home now!! Use your rent money to pay for packing and moving you stuff and get yourself home.

When you are safe and sound under care in your home state you can then send her money if you feel that's the right thing to do and can afford it.

PS. This silly lease citing California law is of no value whatsoever, just ignore it (but keep a copy).
ronin

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments