TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease Expires Soon But not Renewed Yet

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Lease Expires Soon But not Renewed Yet

Postby Rose77 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:25 pm

His office is closed on Fridays. I called today but I got a voicemail.

He did not mention the lease length but he mentioned the new rate which was lower. So I am thinking I will mail a check for the old with the old rent rate so that I am not late with the September payment. Any advice?
Rose77

Postby TenantNet » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:39 pm

I removed the duplicate post.

Why would it matter if he's closed on Fridays?

What I don't know and why I asked is if the LL's email and your subsequent acceptance can be construed as a legal and binding agreement. You would have to ask a lawyer about that. If so, the your tender of the new rate would be proper.

No matter which, you could just take that position and tender the lower rate and see what happens. You could also include a letter (sent certified)...

"Dear Mr. landlord,

On [date] we spoke [or exchanged emails] where you agreed to lower the rent for the next lease which is due to commence on Sept. 1, 2020." I accepted your offer. See the attached copies of our email exchange.

Therefore I am enclosing the rent for September 2020 in the [lower amount].

Thank you and please send the lease for me to sign as soon as possible.

Yours,"

You want to box him in without being too forceful and having him having a fit.

Or you could just mail it in saying it's pursuant to our "agreement" and when he objects, then show him the emails. Or you could wait until he sues you and then show the emails to the court.

But find out first if what he did and how he did it can be a binding agreement.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Rose77 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:39 pm

Thank you for deleting the duplicate.

I definitely do not want to go to court. And certified mail is pricey. It adds up to mail every single rent check that way, but better safe than sorry. I wish I could pay for certified mail from the USPS website.

I doubt that the email exchange will be legal. I am pretty sure that they (LL, courts) will need to see signatures on paper for a binding agreement which is something I may have seen on my own lease. So tiring, and they are doing this during corona to a tenant who has always paid rent on time!?!
Rose77

Postby TenantNet » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:45 pm

Send certified for anything related to the lease. Yes it's pricey, but better to absorb the cost than what it might cost you later. You can send rent by Certificate of Mailing (price is much less) for $1.50.

Don't doubt the email exchange is legal. It might be. Ask a lawyer; there are cases out there.

BTW, stop with the worrying. If you are RS, there's no way they will get you out. I haven't had a lease for five years and the LL can't get me out.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Previous

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues