TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Impact sound

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Impact sound

Postby atl2 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:08 am

Hello,
My wife and I moved into a third floor appt in a townhouse about two months ago. We discovered on the second night, when the neighbour came home, that there was no insulation between the floor/ceiling. It feels like the man and his dog are walking right through our room. We hear every footstep, dog play, chair mouvement...
It is pure hell. My wife is eight months pregnant and cannot sleep. The neighbour has been contacted and is "very sorry", feels we are "lucky he should be away most week ends" and has 80% of his floor covered.
Management is useless and rude. The broker is trying to help out as she feels guilty.
Getting out with our deposit seems likely but how do we get our broker fee back? they did pawn us a faulty product.
We are thinking of getting lawer help as we feel you cannot treat people like this in general and a eight month old pregnant woman in particular.
I welcome any experience, advice...
Thanks
atl2

Re: Impact sound

Postby HardKnocks » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:19 am

Get out while you can. There are NUMEROUS threads about this here, and the consensus is that all you can do is leave. You will NEVER win. To reiterate: your neighbor will not change, and your landlord won't make him. End of story.

I just went through this myself, and finally moved 2 weeks ago. I broke my lease and am waiting for the fallout.
HardKnocks

Postby atl2 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:28 am

Thank you for your answer on the getting out part.
Are you also telling me to sit on the broker fee?
Getting into the whole lawer biz. is just not worth it?
atl2

Postby HardKnocks » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:06 pm

The broker can't be held responsible for noisy neighbors, I'm afraid. Brokers lie, and there's no real way to prove it. For example, the broker trying to rent out my old apartment right now knows exactly why I left. How much money would he make if he was honest with prospective tenants?

Reality bites. All you might be able to do to get the fee back is ask the broker to find you another place (on the top floor!!!) and waive her fee.
HardKnocks

Postby atl2 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:59 pm

Thank you.
We are leaving. It is getting nastier by the min.
atl2

Postby HardKnocks » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:57 am

It nearly always does. And the wrongdoer ALWAYS comes out on top. The victim is forced to leave, has to break the lease, and more often than not ends up in court.

Funny how that works. Three parties, two of them (landlord and noisy, inconsiderate moron) violate the lease, and the party who HASN'T done anything wrong (you) ends up driven out of their home, dragged into court and punished legally and financially. The wrongdoers escape unscathed. Gotta love it.
HardKnocks

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues