TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

My landolord wants me out

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

My landolord wants me out

Postby Norma Santiago » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:32 pm

I have a hole in myroof for the past 3 years, water leaks and when it rains outside it rains and drips in my home..sleepless nights and now I worry that the roof will fall on me since the rain has been chipping away at the ceiling..The walls are all cracked and the paint has been coming down. Wide cracks are my new art work on 3 rooms..Landlord does not want to fix roof or just does not care...Today he sais he wants me out becasue I call for heat as my apartment is frozen and he asked me When are you going to move out...

I don't know where to turn, he is a big shot with one of the agencys for housing here in new york..yet he cares non for how this apartment is or my concerns...

I don't have a lease with him, I live here for about ten years now...What do I do? Where do I go? I am not a young girl, I have little income from my family who helps me. I am on medication, I am not on welfare or medicaid...Were do I go? do I havae any claim since I have no lease? The streets awaits me? What do I do? The rent is not high, I am always on time, I never had bad words or gave him a hard time, I think he just wants more rent...High rent...I can't afford to pay from someone else..This is a 4 family house and he does nothing to keep up with it, he never even painted my apartment...What do I do??
Norma Santiago

Re: My landolord wants me out

Postby questionten » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:08 pm

If you do not have a lease you are month to month and he can ask you to move out with thirty days notice and doesn't have to give you a reason.

On the other hand you can move out without giving him any notice. Is there any way you can find another place to live?

Have you tried calling 311 about the heat and the leak? If he is a big hotshot with the housing authorities you might be able to contact a reporter about your problems.

I am sorry about this. It sounds like you Landlord is a jerk.
questionten

Postby Downtown » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:24 am

Wait. What type of building do you live in...rent stabilized, Mitchell Lama. 6 or more units?
You might not be MTM and have rights.
Downtown

Postby Norma Santiago » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:58 am

landlord just wants me out he figures if he fixes this apartment he can get top dollar, the greed has blocked his heart as I am sure has occur with many.This is a four family house. I am in no sections or on welfare, I am scare and worry as to where I am going to go from here...My heart almost stoped yesterday when he told me he wanted me out...What to do????
Norma Santiago

Postby rosy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:29 pm

Are you in a rent stabilized apartment? How long are you living there? Are you 62 years old or older?
rosy

Postby Norma Santiago » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:16 pm

Rosie,I am just 60 and I want to know if a daughter can leave her mother or give her mother the apartment. I havelived here for the past ten years and he never has said anything to me about getting out, suddenly now he wants me out..Can he just throw me out? I lived her for 10 years with no problems, I belive he wants to go on fix this apartment and rent it for more money..no I am not in section 8 no I don't have any money what do I do and no I am not on welfare or any other program, my daughter helps me...WHAT TO DO?
Norma Santiago

Postby Downtown » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:32 am

1. I would call 311 and see what social services you are eligible for
2. Call your local councilperson's office and ask for their assistance as to agencies, etc.
Downtown

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues