TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

thoughts on new 311 complaint number?

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

thoughts on new 311 complaint number?

Postby nervousnewbie » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:12 pm

I'm a long term tenant in a R/S apt, engaged in a repairs and maintenance action at HP with other tenants in bldg. LL is dragging feet making repairs and whatever does get done (ususally a few days before a court date) is shoddy/incomplete... I'm sure the exp'd tenants out there get the picture....

When there's no heat or hot water, we've been calling 311 to make complaints. After being directed to an HPD operator, the complaints seem to be entered into a database indexed to our home phone numbers. Paranoia alert!

The 1st thing that worries me is that HPD always asks if LL has been notified of the problem. I get the feeling the only "correct" answer is yes. Since the HP proceeding started, tenants and LL are communicating solely through attys. Does anyone see problems developing in court from telling HPD the LL has been notified, without clarification that it was via legal counsel?

2nd, in the case of no heat/hot water complaints when LL takes no action in 24 hours, should complaints be filed over weekends as well?

Thank you in advance for any feedback. If I should just toughen up and let the attys argue things out, please let me know!!!!
nervousnewbie

Re: thoughts on new 311 complaint number?

Postby Anna » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:24 pm

1. You have an atty: you should be asking her these questions.

2. "...in the case of no heat/hot water complaints when LL takes no action in 24 hours, should complaints be filed over weekends as well? "

YES and NO. If LL/super is not busy fixing the heat within 3 or 4 hours of your call to them and to 311, call 311 again and have other tenants call 311 too, 24/7.
Anna

Re: thoughts on new 311 complaint number?

Postby nervousnewbie » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:48 am

Thanks very much, Anna. I appreciate the advice.
nervousnewbie

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues