TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I want out of my lease

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

I want out of my lease

Postby Melfaery » Wed May 19, 2004 12:35 am

I'll try to make this short. I went to a realtor to see a couple of apts published on Craig's List. She handed me the apt keys & I liked one apt in particular, but it was located over a bar/restaurant. I was concerned about the noise, so I asked the realtor representing the landlord whether it got loud. He said no. While inspecting the apt prior to signing the lease I noted their were no lightbulbs in the bathroom. It was night, but I could barely make out the shadows of the room. Everything looked fine. Upon moving in to the apt (and putting light bulbs in the bathroom) I noticed there was an ENORMOUS hole right behind the toilet. The hole was covered by a thin piece of wood that matched the tile almost perfectly. The absence of light bulbs in the bathroom & the presence of that wood cover leads me to believe they purposely misled me as to the condition of the apt. I contacted the super to have the hole fixed, no repsonse. The bar/restaurant downstairs plays pounding dance music every Friday & Saturday night until 3am. The bass is so heavy my walls and floor shakes. I called in complaints to the local police precincts, but the noice continues. Although I have had furniture delivered to the apt, I don't live there. None of my things have been moved in b/c the place is just inhabitable b/c of the noise. I want out of my lease. How would you suggest I go about being released from it? Should I contact an attorney first? This is highly unlikely, but I'd like to recoup the fee I paid to the realtor as well. Please help, I'm desperate.
Melfaery

Re: I want out of my lease

Postby matt3502 » Sun May 23, 2004 7:58 pm

There is something in the DHCR laws which cover what is known a warranty of habitability. I would call the DHCR. Remember: I am not an attorney, but I have issues with my landlord that have been related to warranty of habitability. Good Luck
matt3502

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues