TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I think I was discriminated against in rejection by a co

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

I think I was discriminated against in rejection by a co

Postby queenswoman » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:24 am

I believe I was recently discriminated against when I was rejected by a co-op board in Woodside. I feel that on the basis of my lawful professional(I am also self-employed) I was turned down. The only evidence that I have to go on is that I was asked a lot of questions on aspects of my business that seemed very intrusive. While it is not my wish to live in that building anymore I am however very angry that I had to lose over $600 for things like management fees, real estate appraisals. Is there any basis for a lawsuit against the co-op board or the president of the co-op board who was certainly hostile in the interview. Please help!
queenswoman

Re: I think I was discriminated against in rejection by a co

Postby jot0n0 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:34 am

I’m not a lawyer and my comments should not be taken as legal advice, but I don’t believe you have a case if you were turned down based on employment. We all know you can’t be turn down based on sex, age, race, religion, etc., but you can be based on your ability to pay monthly maintenance cost. Small self-employed tenants are viewed less financially stable than salaried workers and is a valid reason for rejection. If the co-op board use the same criteria on other applicants as yourself and were also rejected, then you can’t claim discrimination. I read somewhere that a co-op board rejected applicants based on their profession, lawyers, claiming that they are more litigious in general.
jot0n0

Postby consigliere » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:04 am

The New York City Human Rights Law prohibits discrimination on the basis of a person's occupation -- New York City Administrative Code, Sections 8-101 - 8-131.

consigliere

Postby queenswoman » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:07 pm

Consigliere, I thank you for your words and want to know that if I did want to pursue some type of legal action should I file some kind of case with a NYC govt authority. (Also, the board was well aware that I only use my home as an office to make phone calls and I travel outside to different locations to perform my work)
queenswoman

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues