TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Noise problems

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Noise problems

Postby lavides » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:17 pm

I am having problems with my neighbors from upstairs. They have complained to building management about noise coming from my TV and stereo when the same are played at normal levels. We have done tests together and they claim they can hear the sound even when played at low levels. They do not have any carpeting in the apartment, refuse to carpet it and have only small rugs around. The management has theaten me with eviction. I have tried to reason with my neighbors but they are adamant that I should not listen to TV or music. I am renting and they own the apartment where they live. They called me at 12pm, 3pm, 5pm and even at 6pm demanding I turnd the sound down. What can I do? Do I have any rights? Thanks in advance for your advice......
lavides

Re: Noise problems

Postby consigliere » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:53 pm

You might start by reading the TenantNet article about noise and noisy neighors. While it's written for the person complaining about the noise, it has links helpful to both sides.

You could also search the TenantNet website, including Housing Court Decisions, for "noise" or "noisy" to see if there are any relevant cases.

consigliere

Re: Noise problems

Postby Phil Cohen » Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:32 pm

You have a right to "quiet enjoyment of the premises" not "silent enjoyment." You live in New York City, not Alcatraz. I suggest writing the upstairs neighbors a letter telling them to desist from their constant unreasonable complaints and harrassment. How do you know they have complained to the management company? Be sure to respond to any letters from the management company. You also may want to write management company too.
Keep in mind that I am a tenant. Not a lawyer!!!!!
Phil Cohen

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues