TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

month to month

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

month to month

Postby niceguy » Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:17 am

I've been told that it's illegal to go month to month in an NYC apartment....is this true?

What are you supposed to do if you need to move 2 months after your lease is up?
niceguy

Re: month to month

Postby ChrisG » Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:19 pm

m-t-m is very common and not at all illegal. it's not necessarily the safest option for tenants/owners, since the intervals are so short. while i have had landlords begin tenancy without a lease, it often happens after a regular lease expires and the tenant just stays, continuing to pay rent as before. so if you need to move two months after your lease expires you need only give 30 days notice to vacate (tho i think technically tenants don't even need to give notice before leaving, but it's nice).
ChrisG

Postby niceguy » Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:22 pm

strangely enough the landlord is still saying it's illegal but I'm not sure he knows what he's talking about - he can't point to a law for me - any idea where he's getting this from?
niceguy

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:19 pm

It's not illegal. In a rent stabilized bldg. the tenant has a right to be offered a 1 yr or 2 yr lease, but that does not mean that a m2m lease is illegal because they tenant and LL agreed to a m2m.
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues