TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Potential Eviction

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Potential Eviction

Postby simpleanimal » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:42 pm

My girlfriend and I live in her parents apartment (owned by a limited profit housing company under Article 2 of the Private Housing Finance Law...I have no idea what this means). The landlord is saying that since even though her name is on the lease, since the parents don't live there, that she needs to move out. Does anybody know if this is legal? THANK YOU!
simpleanimal

Re: Potential Eviction

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:36 am

Originally posted by simpleanimal:
My girlfriend and I live in her parents apartment (owned by a limited profit housing company under Article 2 of the Private Housing Finance Law...I have no idea what this means). The landlord is saying that since even though her name is on the lease, since the parents don't live there, that she needs to move out. Does anybody know if this is legal? THANK YOU!
Not quite the same situation you described in a similar post - http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/ubbgraphics/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001234

Call DHCR to confirm if this apartment is rent regulated and whether or not your girlfriend is entitled to succession rights.

<small>[ April 29, 2005, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby HardKnocks » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:43 am

Yeah, having two separate posts with two different versions of the same events is a recipe for disaster. Not only for us, but for you... you're likely to get two totally different sets of advice.

1) Is it rent-controlled or not?
2) Is she on the lease or not?
HardKnocks

Postby Downtown » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:17 am

Take your lease either to a tenant clinic or (well worth the consulting fee) to a tenant atty.
Fastest and simplest way to find out what her rights are or are not.
Downtown

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues