TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Mandatory Community Service

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Mandatory Community Service

Postby darnelle » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:22 am

I don't think it's fair or right that i should be made to do community service to live any where. i am not on public assistance, my husband works, we do not get any government funds, we take care of our family on his income. i feel like i am being forced to do something i do not want to do. just because i do not work i am involved in the PTA at the school, my husband and I are foster parents, I am a foster parent advocate, it is not like I'm home and just sleeping all day and even if I was what gives Housing and Hud the right to say that I have to do 96 hours of Community service it is just not right or fair. :mad:
darnelle

Re: Mandatory Community Service

Postby TenantNet » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:22 pm

It's political, and the time to gripe is over. Even if you voted Democratic, what are you doing to make your elected officials accountable -- to force them to stop the Republicans? This particualr law was written by Rick Fazio of Long Island. While your situation is a national law, this nonsense happens all over NYC when Democratic elected officials allow the Republicans to get away with it, or in many cases the unions support Republicans.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues