TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others


Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet


Postby Zamir » Mon May 13, 2002 4:31 pm

I moved into a coop building that was been foreclosed as a rent-stabilized tenant in 1994. The new owner is now claiming I’m a free market tenant and wants me to buy my apartment or sign a years lease increasing the rent by almost $200 even though the apartment has been registered with DHCR as rent stabilized since 1994. Please give me some advice on this; I’m going back to court on Friday the 17th.
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: NY


Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue May 14, 2002 3:39 am

I'd suggest going to the DHCR office as soon as possible and speaking with a counselor. Get whatever documentation that your apartment is rent stabilized including a rent history, and anything else they can give you.

They'll probably suggest you file a Lease Renewal Violations/Overcharge complaint. Do NOT opt or mediation. DHCR won't be able to address your complaints before the court date but any proof you have that the apartment is rent stabilized will help in court.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Manhattan

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest