TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

walk-up apts where an elevator can be installed

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

walk-up apts where an elevator can be installed

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:26 pm

I believe that 'walk-up' apartment buildings should not have the same rent increases that other tenants pay who live in elevator buildings.
Any comments here?

Also, I know of several walk-up buildings in Hell's Kitchen where elevators could easily be installed by the LL which would merit an MCI increase for sure. I wonder why LL don't install such elevators for the MCI increase when they have the physical space to do so. Any comments here?
Iddabiddy35

Re: walk-up apts where an elevator can be installed

Postby persephone » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:54 am

Just guessing here - Installing elevators may require them to have to get the building declared structurally sound in order to accomodate the construction of an elevator in the building. Which may also mean displacement of tenants?

The other issue is - it takes money to install and properly maintain an elevator in any building - which requires inspections, fees, etc. that many a landlord probably doesn't want to deal with for a six to eight apartment building.
persephone

Postby persephone » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:56 am

I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who choose to live in walk-ups. I also have been known to laugh at those who pay thousands to live in a walk-up. It's just senseless. But as long as there's people wanting to live in New York City and willing to fork over the money, landlords are going to continue to have it easy.
persephone

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:56 pm

Dear Persephone, I understand your comments very well. The points you bring up are all the more reason that LL of walk-up apartments should NOT be allowed the same rent increases as other buildings are allowed that have elevators. I find that lack of accessability for disabled people to have the right to rent an apartment listed at a certain rent because it is a walk-up is discriminating. I believe that if this issue should gain political support - LL of walk-up apartments might be really pushed to do something. Yes, displacement of tenants would be a real issue and building inspections to see if the building could support an elevator would be another issue for sure. Yet, in the long run, it is very possible that these walk-up buildings are really not safe for anyone to live in,
Iddabiddy35

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues