TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Noisy commercial neighbors

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Noisy commercial neighbors

Postby Melfaery » Sun May 09, 2004 4:24 pm

My fiancee & I recently moved into a nice brownstone on the Upper East Side. The first floor of the brownstone is primarily occupied by restaurants & we have the misfortune of living on top of the loudest of the bunch. This restaurant advertises itself as a restaurant/bar, but this past Friday it transformed itself into a dance club; disco ball & all. It was awful. The bass on their sound system was so loud the floors and walls in our apt were shaking & we could hear their music pounding through our floorboards even with the TV on. We asked the landlord if the establishment was noisy before signing the lease and he said no. We really like the apt and don't wish to move (we really can't afford to) because of the obnoxiously loud restaurant downstairs. I don't believe they have the right to turn their club into a dance club as I don't think they have a cabaret license, plus I don't think laws permit a dance club opening in a residential building. I basically want to file a complaint against the restaurant, but I don't know how. Is there a tenant rights advocacy group that could help me out? Thanks.

<small>[ May 09, 2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Melfaery ]</small>
Melfaery

Re: Noisy commercial neighbors

Postby TenantNet » Sun May 09, 2004 6:16 pm

Try calling 311 and see if that does any good. You can also contact the Dept. of Consumer Affairs (violating cabaaret laws), Dept. Env. Protection (noise) and State Liquor Authority (nuisance). Dancing is not permitted in residential zones (the problem isn't the danding per se, but the noise). But make multiple complaints.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues