TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Guest Policy in Student Housing

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Guest Policy in Student Housing

Postby royud » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:00 pm

I am living in a university owned apartment for the summer (I do not go to the school).

The school has a sever guest policy in effect (only one guest allowed per person) that we were not informed of before signing the lease. The lease, called a "Reservation letter" and the only letter I have signed makes no mention of the guest policy.

Do such institutions have special standing that allow them to institute such guest policies or are they treated just as landlords? I ahve just had all my guest privileges because I did not "sign out" a guest. Is this legal?

I have people visintg me in two days and any response would be much appreciated.

Thank you
royud

Re: Guest Policy in Student Housing

Postby custudent » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:02 pm

Student housing is not subject to many of the laws that govern housing practices and tenants rights.

How do you think universities establish and maintain same-sex and married student housing when it is illegal for a landlord to refuse a lease based on gender or marital status?
custudent

Postby Cranky Tenant » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:30 pm

I'd imagine it depends on what's in your lease and whether or nor it's student housing.

Both Columbia and NYU own plenty of buildings where the tenants enjoy the same rights as anyone else. On the other hand, if its a dorm, or specially set aside as student housing, custudent is correct.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby custudent » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:44 pm

I lived in a Columbia University owned apartment for several years. There are many restrictions on tenants in university-owned-apartments that would be illegal in the open market.

For example, the "roommate law" does not apply to University owned housing. ASubleting is often prohibited. You can be evicted/removed from the apartment without judge's orders.

If university owned apartments were subject to housing laws, the university would not be allowed to offer the housing only to students or faculty. It is illegal to deny housing based on one's age or occupation.
custudent

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues