TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Save energy, save MONEY!

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Save energy, save MONEY!

Postby HANAC Weatherization » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:09 am

I’m trying to promote a weatherization program administered by HANAC, a non-profit community organization in Astoria, Queens.

HANAC’s state funded weatherization program offers services to reduce energy consumed by buildings in Northern Astoria. These measures are meant to decrease the amount of money building owners spend on utilities, and also improve comfort for tenants who live in these buildings.

Some of the services include:
- Repair or replacement of the roof, or boiler
- Roof & pipe insulation
- Refrigerator replacement
- High-efficiency lighting

Most units in NYC were not built efficiently and are now costly to maintain. With oil process so high, these energy conservation measures result in short and long-term savings benefits to building owners and tenants.

There are income guidelines that must be met, but any size building can apply. If eligible, buildings with 1-4 units get this service for free, 5+ units, a contribution from the building owner is required.

I’d also like to mention that we have a lead awareness program that offers lead remediation for building units with children under the age of 7 years old, or where pregnant women reside. We are also offering to send a representative to any community group meetings to give free seminars on LEAD.

Thanks for reading this information. Please let me know if you would like more information.

Alex
718-626-7575
wxhanac@yahoo.com
HANAC Weatherization

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues