TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

INITIAL APARTMENT REGISTRATION FORM

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

INITIAL APARTMENT REGISTRATION FORM

Postby ELLENC123 » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:16 pm

Has anybody any knowledge with this form that is issued by the Division of Housing and Community Renewal. It was given to us by the LL and lists all the pertinent info about each individual's apartment -- rent, rooms, etc., etc. and says that we should challenge any info that is incorrect within 90 days. Well trying to find out how to challenge this form has been a challenge in itself. We have called DHC and received all different kinds of forms and all different kinds of info. One of the tenants even went down to the DHC office and that person was given a PAR form (which we are told is incorrect).

HELP!
ELLENC123

Re: INITIAL APARTMENT REGISTRATION FORM

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:05 am

I wrote to DHCR twice when my LL added $300 to the registered rent on my Rent Stabilized apartment.

Nothing ever came of it.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby alinnyc » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:43 am

I assume the form you were given is a DHCR RR-1 form. (You can see the form number on the bottom).

At this point, if you have a problem with the accuracy of the information filled in by the building management, you can file an objection.

The form you would use is a DHCR Rent Overcharge Objection form. You can find more info about this form an filing the complaint at DHCR's website.

I live at Westgate Apartments, and the RR-1 Registration form given to tenants was actually forged by the management so as to keep tenants ignorant of their right of objection (entire reverse of form was blank). DHCR knows of the forgery, and has done nothing to rectify the situation other than attempt to cover it up.

Assuming that the form you received is an official RR-1, it is the legal form for initial registration under Rent Stabilization. You're probably best off not wasting time challenging it. If you have further questions about it, you can email me at alinnyc@hotmail.com.
alinnyc

Postby alinnyc » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:53 am

Hi. Me again.

The DHCR website address is:

www.dhcr.state.ny.us

According to the instructions on the reverse of the DHCR RR-1, the form you should use for your complaint is form RA-89.

You can see and download all of the DHCR forms from the website. The site also gives you complete information concerning how to file your complaint.

Since you are obviously newly Rent Stabilized, you may want to explore the DHCR website. Be sure to read all of the DHCR Fact Sheets, Advisory Opinions, etc. that you can find on the website. It will help you to get your bearings.

Good luck.
alinnyc

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues