TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Being Ineligble For A "Tax credit" Apt. Due To

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Being Ineligble For A "Tax credit" Apt. Due To

Postby pbj911 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:52 pm

I live(for the past twenty years) in a HPD apartment building that's managed by a private firm. This company want's to relocate me because they want to renovate the building. I make very little money because I go to college full- time and work part-time. I was told that I wouldn't be eligible for a "tax credit" apartmment because of my school status, I would have to be placed in a "market value" apartment. This doesn't make sense, is this legal?

Also this same company explained that the relocation would be temporary and the rent will remain the same as what I'm paying now, during the time of renovation. I've since learned that the rest of the tenants in the building have had their rent increased! Can anything be done to prevent this from happenning to me?

Can anyone suggest where I can get information on my rights cncerning relocation?
pbj911

Re: Being Ineligble For A "Tax credit" Apt. Due To

Postby Anna » Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:52 pm

Get a copy of the HPD tenant handbook from management or read the one online that applies to your type of building. "I was told that I wouldn't be eligible for a "tax credit" apartmment because of my school status"
http://nyc.gov/html/hpd/html/for-tenants/tenants-city-owned-programs.html

If this is the wrong page, click on 'For Tenants' or use HPD's search.
Anna

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues