TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Low-income housing sublet?

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Low-income housing sublet?

Postby Anonny27 » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:21 pm

I have been offered a room in an apartment in a city-owned building that I am pretty sure is reserved or low-income housing. The current tenant keeps lowering the price of the room, so I'm pretty sure her actual rent is far lower than her asking price. She says she is renting out both bedrooms in the apartment, and will be going to live in another state with her mother, but is currently camped out in the living room of this apartment. She also says she has other rooms to rent in her mother's apartment in the projects. It seems like she is making money off of having these apartments but not living in them. I'm not sure if this is legal, and what would happen to me if I moved in to this apartment. Would I have any rights if she decided to move back in, or changed the rent, etc?
Anonny27

Re: Low-income housing sublet?

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:10 pm

It's my understanding that anyone who lives in subsidized housing is required to file an application and is put on a waiting list. Once an apartment becomes available it's offered to the next person, or household, on that list.

For the most part, these apartments are intended for single individuals or families, and are not necessarily subject to the same regulations as other apartments. .

Several years ago when I applied for subsidized housing they wanted me to provide photo ID of everyone who was going to live there, and explain what their relationship was. In that case, I doubt subletting or having roomates who may not meet the guidelines would be permitted.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues