TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

undue burden for info by Management Co

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

undue burden for info by Management Co

Postby sickandtired » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:30 pm

I was "approved" for 80/20 housing and of course had to give them copies of every bit of financial and personal information you can think of. Now they are requiring that I submit copies of all financial statements on a monthly basis for an open-ended period of time. Can they do that? It is an awful burden to expect anyone to submit a record of their entire financial life every month for forever. Is there any legislation or are there any Fair Housing rules that limit the length of time they can require you to copy your life and send it to them? I know there is a rent stabilization rule that says that the proposed tenant must prove eligibility at the time of application, but I can't find anything about the time between applying and being accpeted to the program, and actually being offered an apartment. I understand that waiting lists can be as long as 10 YEARS! Help.
sickandtired

Re: undue burden for info by Management Co

Postby TenantNet » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:30 pm

It probably depends on the actual program you are under. Most require periodic recertification, but we've never heard of a requirement for every month. Ask for their authorization to collect such information. Chances are it isn't a monthly requirement, but a yearly one.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:38 am

Three or four years ago I applied for a subsidized apartment, through Related Management, in Tribeca Park.

Apparently I was rejected at first, but then they called me about six months after I sent in the initial application and said they changed their minds,. Maybe I did qualify after all.

They wanted all financial records for the previous four years, photo ID, and photo ID of everyone who would be living in the apartment, and told me to be there in two weeks. No choice about what time or day I should be there, no indication that an apartment was actually available, and no guarantee of confidentiality.

Unfortunately I just didn't have every credit card or bank statement going back that far so I decided not to apply. When I didn't show they actually telephoned me wanting to know why I didn't come and told me to come back another time.

I wonder how many people who do fall within the income guidelines are unable to meet their damands for financial documentation.

<small>[ October 05, 2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Cranky Tenant ]</small>
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:48 pm

Call your local community board (probably #1) and ask what they have on the building and the management and the particular program. They should have written info that you can go see at their office, including eligability guidelines. It's wuite possible the management co. is skirting the rules (this is Related Co., Steve Ross, et al, who is notorious).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Cranky Tenant » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:27 pm

Thanks for the info. It's certainly good to know you can check it with the community board.

Only problem is, what do you do if you find they're not playing by the rules? . Won't complaing to whoever oversees the program get you bumped from the waiting list?
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby sickandtired » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:28 pm

I too was given no choice about anything, day, time of day, etc. for my appointment. When I went, the woman treated me like a recently released ex-con, ordering me to come in and sit down from her desk, then literally throwing her business card across her desk at me, and never bothered to try to make eye contact, much less smile. I brought a confidentiality agreement with me, which she refused to even look at, much less sign, and told me that iif I didn't want to submit my information that I could make an appointment for another time, kowing full well that I was on the verge of losing my jobs to make the current appointment, and couldn't afford to take another day off. Also, their rule is that if you don't qualify you can appeal and keep trying, but if you default through lack of complying with their demands for information, you cannot appeal. I wonder, since I do not yet have an apartment, which community board I should contact?
sickandtired

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues