TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Phipps Plaza South mold problem

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Phipps Plaza South mold problem

Postby <Sonya Duffy> » Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:14 pm

I just got called in for an interview after being on the waiting list for Phipps Plaza South for several years. Phipps Plaza South is a federally subsidized complex consisting of two buildings funded through HUD (and Section 8). A class action lawsuit was filed against the owners by tenants who claimed that water leaks allowed mold to grow to such an extent that it caused serious health problems and a couple alleged deaths. This lawsuit was settled in November 2001, but there is no indication that the settlement included the provision that the landlord fix the problem. I am finally in a position (after years of waiting!) to have my own place at a reasonable rent, but I don't want to get sick in the process. Of course I will ask the management what they are doing to fix the problem, but I would like to do some research of my own that may be more objective. If anyone has firsthand knowledge of this situation I would appreciate the input very much. Otherwise, what are the best sources of reliable information about what, if anything, is being done or has been done since November 2001 to fix the mold problem at Phipps Plaza South. Thank you.
<Sonya Duffy>

Re: Phipps Plaza South mold problem

Postby <Red Zephyr> » Wed Mar 27, 2002 11:47 pm

"Killer mold" is the latest hysteria of the day. A few years ago it was electric power lines, before then asbestos. Virtually all mold or mildew I've seen can be eliminated with a little "elbow grease" and prevented by eliminating the source of water.

If you want to succomb to the fearmongers, decline the apartment. I'm sure there are plenty of others on the waiting list behind you who'd be happy to take it.
<Red Zephyr>

Postby <andy> » Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:41 am

YUP bleach and lysol concentrate works wonders..........also you must air out the bathroom after a hot shower or bath...... and if you have shower curtains one a month or so just drop them into the tub with hot water and a cup or two of bleach

And why not buy a good HEPA air cleaner you should have one anyway.

And you sould buy a steam cleaner Hoover has a good one for less the $200

Just the basic living essentials you must have to combat dirt allergies and mold.
<andy>

Postby lappert » Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:15 am

Maybe the last two should read the papers. This was no ordinary bathroom mold -- it was entirely different causing many health problems, and it got between the walls which prevented typical cleaning.
lappert

Postby <Sonya Duffy> » Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:14 pm

Yes, I don't think this was the type of mold that most people have to deal with. There was (and probably still is) a widespread problem in both the buildings that make up Phipps Plaza South of water leaks that has existed since at least 1973. I don't think a large real estate company would have settled a lawsuit involved deaths alleged to be caused by the mold unless they had reason to believe that they might done worse had they gone to court. Regardless, my question is:

Does anyone have firsthand knowledge about this case that they could share?

Where would be the best place to start researching whether (either because they are compelled by the court or voluntarily) the landlord of Phipps Plaza South has begun to or has a plan to fix the water leaks that they initially refused to fix because of the cost?

Thank you,
<Sonya Duffy>

Postby BabyLP315 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:41 pm

ok i found this 4 years later but i have first hand knowledge being that i have lived there all 26 years of my life. I hope u didn't take the apartment. It's a mold that is growing within the musty walls. The only logical way I can think of them getting rid of it is demolishing the building or slowly replacing all the building materials wwhich is a stretch. Now they are renovating all apts. But i am worried because nothing comes free and that is what th epresident adam weinstein is saying that's it basically being done fro the goodness of thier hearts. :roll:

We'll see though. Like i mentioned in another post with all the construction that is being done in the building w/o the proper protection is has caused my son to have asthma brought on by the dust and stuff.
BabyLP315

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues