TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Hoping for Succession Rights to Mitchell Lama Apt.

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Hoping for Succession Rights to Mitchell Lama Apt.

Postby samanthalewis » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:32 am

Hi,

I need help with my Mitchell Lama apartment. Specifically regarding succession rights...

My mom passed away early July 2003 and our apartment has been in question. Here is the current situation. I have been living in that apartment with mom since the first day she got it in 1991. My name has been on all the affadavits up until the one for 2000 (which is supposed to count for 1999-2000) year. I went to grad school on 9/2000 until 6/2002. Since about 4/2002 I have been back at the apartment. I didn't go far to school, but stayed with my dad at the time of grad school. My name was back on the 2003 affadavits for April 2003.

With the advice of many I stayed low, and for this year, 2004, I had to file the affadavit on my own. I put myself on it as head of household, as well as my grandmother, and my husband (I was married last year). I did not put my mom anywhere on the affadavit. With the new income, we have received a surcharge for the place.

Does that mean we have been accepted as tenants? Would you happen to know if I have succession rights to the apartment? Some have said definitely, some say no, and I have no idea. If you have links or connections, please let me know. Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
samanthalewis

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues