TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Notice of Rights

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Notice of Rights

Postby daphnethegoldfish » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:04 pm

I've heard of something about a document called a "Notice of Rights" that a landlord is supposed to supply to an SRO tenant upon occupancy. I never received anything like this when i moved in. Is it still something that is current and if yes, is there someplace I can get a copy other than my LL?
daphnethegoldfish

Re: Notice of Rights

Postby consigliere » Thu Dec 12, 2002 9:43 pm

Rent Stabilization Code §2522.5(c)(2) and §2522.5(c)(3) provide:

§2522.5(c)(2): For housing accommodations in hotels, each owner shall furnish to each person, at the time of registration, a Notice of Rights in a form promulgated or approved by the DHCR, describing the rights and duties of hotel owners, occupants and tenants as provided for under the RSL and this Code and a hotel occupant's right to become a permanent tenant at a legal regulated rent by requesting a lease for a term of at least six months at any time during his or her occupancy. Such notice, which shall conform to the "plain English" requirements of section 5-702 of the General Obligations Law, shall also be available in Spanish. Such notice shall be provided to each hotel occupant in residence on the effective date of this Code no later than 90 days from such effective date. An owner who violates the RSL and this Code by failing to furnish this Notice of Rights, and/or by engaging in any conduct which compels a person to rent as a hotel occupant, prevents a hotel occupant from becoming a permanent tenant, or results in a hotel occupant vacating a housing accommodation, shall be subject to a loss of a guidelines adjustment pursuant to paragraph (3) of this subdivision as well as penalties pursuant to section 2526.2(b) and (c)(1) of this Title, and may be subject to a penalty pursuant to section 2526.2(c)(2) of this Title, in an amount no less than $1,000.

§2522.5(c)(3): Upon complaint by the tenant, permanent tenant or hotel occupant that he or she was not furnished with a copy of the lease rider pursuant to paragraph (1) or the notice pursuant to paragraph (2) of this subdivision, the DHCR shall order the owner to furnish the rider or notice. In addition to such other penalties provided for pursuant to section 2526.2 of this Title, if the owner fails to comply within 20 days of such order, the owner shall not be entitled to collect any guidelines lease adjustment authorized for any current lease from the commencement date of such lease. The furnishing of the rider or notice by the owner to the tenant or hotel occupant shall result in the elimination, prospectively, of such penalty. With respect to housing accommodations in hotels, noncompliance by the owner shall not prevent the hotel occupant from becoming a permanent tenant.

consigliere

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues