TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

unfair???

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

unfair???

Postby Vicky » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:28 am

I applied for a low-income studio apartment in April. The renting office left me a message on August 12th stating that I was pre-approved. I called the renting office back they wanted me to fax over my pay stubs . I faxed her over my pay stubs the following day and from the salary they said that my income was too much for a studio. They were reading my pay stubs wrong because on some stubs it says full-time employment and some say part-time employment. Also, my year-to-date income was not even half of $25, 000. From that they could see I am not a full-time employee all year round. I told her that I am a student part-time employee and my total income for a year is a little over $16,000. I asked her if I could send my W-2 so she can see my income for last year. She told me my W-2 would not be accepted as a reference of income and I needed to get a letter from my office stating my employment status and the total amount of hours and weeks I worked so far for the year. That same day I asked the Human Resorce officer to type up a letter but I was not able to send the letter over to the renting office until Tuesday August 17. I called the renting office to see if they recieved my letter and they said the break down clear according to the letter my income is still $25, 000 a year. I informed the Human Resorce Officer that they need a more complete break down and she decided to calll the renting office. The renting office told her that now my income is too low for a one bedroom.But I will be put on the list. I never applied for the one bedrrom I applied for a studio. For a studio the "Total Annual Income Range" was between $15,000-$17,00. For my last year W-2 I made $16, 286. I don't undersatnd how my income was too high. They did not give me an opportunity to show them my tax return. When I last spoke to the renting office they told me that they gave the studio to someone else. They also informed me that I was put on the waiting list for the one bedroom. If the
studio salary range was $15,960-$17,600 who can the put me on the waiting list for a one bedroom and the salary range for that is $17,000-$20,080. I do not make that much.I think that the renting office does not want me to get an apartment. I feel this way because (1) They gave away the apartment before they even finished processing me. (2) They put me one the waiting list for a one bedroom but on the application the "Total Annuanl Income Range" for a one bedroom is $17,000 - $21,000. My income would be too low for this type of unit. (3)I got a letter on Friday stating that my income was too much and It was dated Friday August 13th. The renting office did not give me a chance to send the letter from my office before they made up their mind. All along they knew they sent this rejection letter out to me but they still continued to lead me on thinking that I still had a chance but they denied me an opportunity to proved my yearly income. What can I do Help! Help!
Vicky

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues