TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Pet Removal Letter

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Pet Removal Letter

Postby shanna52678 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:06 pm

I have had my dog for almost 2 years now and he's lived with me and my husband in our apartment which doesn't allow owners to house pets. We have been aware of this but decided to keep the dog anyway since he was a gift from my parents. Many of the other tenants who lives in the same building own pets as well but someone reported to the board that they saw my dog and that we are reprimanded to remove him from the premisses immediately or we will be evicted. The letter stated that Is there a way a round this so as not to go on trial? We don't have much money to afford a lawyer. What should we do? What are the next steps that we can do now? We're willing to go to trial if needs be but we're trying to go the subtle approach to this matter. Any advice would be appreciated.
shanna52678

Postby Cranky Tenant » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:16 pm

Have you read Keeping a pet when the lease says "No Pets" in the references section?
You mentioned owners and board. Is this a co-op or condo?
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby Anna » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:48 pm

And: are you the shareholder or are you renting from shareholder or owner or sponsor?
Anna

Postby shanna52678 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:23 pm

I am the shareholder and it's a Mitchell-Lama co-op. I don't know if I should get a lawyer now to arrange the papers and submit it to the office or should I just send them a "note" of my own stating that I am covered by the pet law. My dilemma is, if I send the letter, they might push a case against us and we'll end up in trial proceedings. And if I get a lawyer immediately, they might still take me to court and I'll still end up owing so much money. I don't know the best initial step to take without ending up in court. I don't know anyone who has gone through this situation before and I am afraid of losing my pet. I don't think I can give up my pet but I alsoo can't afford to lose my apartment. :(
shanna52678

Postby Anna » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:00 pm

Is it a letter? or a Notice to Cure? or a Termination Notice?
Who sent it: coop board, manager, lawyers?

Before you compose any response, read about the Pet Law in Reference and use the Google-search, above right for "Pet Law", then read the HCD & articles that are returned.

After research & composition, bring whatever 'letter' you received and your draft to a T-clinic or T-atty for editing.
Anna

Postby shanna52678 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:44 am

It is a letter from the lawyers. Immediately after I have recieved this, my husband and I made all necessary research and it's on-going. I know that if I go to court, we have the law on our side. But lawyers can turn things around. I have a lot of the evidence that my dog has been with us for almost 2 years and our friends and neighbors know Jack (my dog) but they can deny that in court. I have no physical evidence (pictures) that all our neighbors know about him. I have a medical condition and so does my husband so all I am afraid of now is court and making a bad defense. The only result to this could either be losing my pet or my apartment. Plus, we don't have money to afford a lawyer and we're forced to go to court, we will. Someone gave me such a great advise to send a note and include a copy of the "Pet Law" page but this may lead to court also asking us to prove our claim. I need to layout all my options and pick the best move. My husband's doctor is away for 3 weeks and we can't wait for a letter from him to include in our letter to the lawyers. I don't even know how much time we have but I have a feeling that we need to take care of this as soon as we can. What would the lawyers do if they recieve this letter from us? I just wish it is not to go on trial.
shanna52678

Postby Anna » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:07 pm

"I have a lot of the evidence that my dog has been with us for almost 2 years and our friends and neighbors know Jack (my dog) but they can deny that in court. I have no physical evidence (pictures) that all our neighbors know about him."

Anna wrote:
Before you compose any response, read about the Pet Law in Reference and use the Google-search, above right for "Pet Law", then read the HCD & articles that are returned.

After research & composition, bring whatever 'letter' you received and your draft to a T-clinic or T-atty for editing.

Testimony from friends and neighbors will help BUT what you need to prove in court is that you openly and notoriously harbored the dog and that LL or its agents [board of directors] and/or employees [super, doorman] had actual knowledge of pet.

Click reference, above.
Anna

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues