TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Thought we were Mitchell Llama but now we're not

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Thought we were Mitchell Llama but now we're not

Postby BabyLP315 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi,
A few years ago i made a print out of mitchell llama apartments in NYC and saw my building was on . Now in 2006 when we ask about the Mitchell llama status they tell us we were never ML that we have always been HUD. Out of no where a HUD sign got posted on the front of my building in the past month. So I started thinking maybe I am mistaken. But my mom has lived there for over 20 years and she insists that it was ML.Now when I check the ML apartments in NYC my building is no longer listed. Is there a way I can find a copy? And is it just me or does this sound fishy? A red flag went up this past week when I read that Patki will be leaving us with a gift of an increase in rent for rent stabalized apartments and am wondering if my housing group palnned it out this way. After all it takes a few years for new policies to go through. What do you think?
BabyLP315

Postby cestmoi123 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:12 am

One thing, FYI: it's Mitchell-Lama, not Mitchell Llama - unless you actually are engaged in the herding of wooly livestock. :)
cestmoi123

Postby Anna » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Try this site and/or this org:
www.save-ml.org
Anna

Postby BabyLP315 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:17 pm

lol no i noticed after i put up the thread I was spelling it incorrectly thanks
BabyLP315

Postby BabyLP315 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:40 pm

Anna thanks for the link it was pretty helpful
BabyLP315

Postby Aubergine » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:45 pm

Some housing projects owned by companies organized under New York State's "Mitchell-Lama" law (Private Housing Finance Law article 2) are also subsidized under one or another HUD-supervised federal housing program, such as the Section 236 or Section 8 programs. If a project is HUD-subsidized, the applicable federal regulations are controlling in case of any conflict with overlapping state or city regulations. Various sources of information exist that can help to clarify your building's regulatory status.
Aubergine

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues