TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Help !! I am a tenant with loud neighbors

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Help !! I am a tenant with loud neighbors

Postby m83alexis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:32 am

I have lived in my brownstone apartment in Park Slope, Brooklyn for a few years. Last summer, new tenants moved into the brownstone next to mine. The problem is... They are loud! I didn't think you could hear anything through Brownstone walls. they are singers and sing loudly during the day, which is a problem since I work from home. It feels like they are right next to me. If this were the only thing, I could try and come to an agreement with them. But they also regularly (3 times a week at least) have a handful of guests and they shout, laugh, etc...right into my living room. I have reached out to them (nicely) to no avail. I have also talked to their landlord. But that didn't seem to help. Is there nothing else I can do? I have never heard anything from next door in all the years I have been here until these guys moved in...
m83alexis

Postby brk » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:27 pm

Hard to believe that the rest of their building (above and below) are not complaining to their LL.

Unless the noise is loud enough to file a noise complaint with 311, not anything you can do.
brk

Loud Neighbors

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:43 pm

Hi All
I realize you said you work form home but you are saying this disturbance goes on during the day. Be realistic, who can really stop others from doing their thing during daytime hours?
Search this site, there are numerous posts on noise. Some posts discuss alterations/soundproofing which may help. Good Luck
Emeraldstar

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues