TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Questions Concerning Harassment by Neighbor

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Questions Concerning Harassment by Neighbor

Postby Brooklyn61 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:18 pm

This obviously isn't a new problem, but I was hoping for some advice.

I own a co-op in a building with 5 units per floor. A few months ago, a neighbor started leaving signs ON my door stating that my cats were "stinking up the hallway" I was horrified and vigorously cleaned and deodorized my apartment. He kept on leaving notes and even put those pine tree deodorizers used in cars on my door knob. I bought air filters and neutralizers and finally decided to ignore him. My cats have been here for over 10 years and I don't understand why this is suddenly a problem. My lease allows for pets.

About 2 months ago, he became more hostile. The signs became larger and at one point he sprayed Lysol under my door. He put a sign in the elevator that my apartment smells. As I later found out, he anonymously complained to both the Dept. of Health and the Management Company. Both the Dept. of Health and the Management Co. found NO odors in or escaping from my apartment. I cannot do anything about a problem that doesn't exist, and no one seems to notice a problem except for him.

I complained to the Management Co. about him, which is how I found out that he complained anonymously about the cats. In other words, they won't do anything about the harassment because it's my word against his. He caught me leaving the building yesterday and said "We need to talk." I completely ignored him and walked away; I didn't look at him or say a word. He called after me that he reported me to the Dept. of Health, which leads me to believe that he has no idea they were already here.

I am planning to move by next summer and do not want to spend money on an attorney to pursue his infliction of emotional distress. Is there anything else I should be doing? I've saved the signs, took pictures of the signs and kept a log of both his harassment and my conversations with the Management Co. Can he claim "pet nuisance" if the Management Co. doesn't think there is one? Can he take me to court over a nonexistent problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brooklyn61

Postby polymer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:57 pm

It sounds like this guy has fixated on you for some reason. I think it is wise that you have not responded, engaging him in this will only add fuel to the fire. I would definitely try to get management to take action in this case. I would be very nice about it, but very persistent, in order to get them moving. You could also try calling your local police precint and see what they have to say about his harassment. Spraying chemicals into your apartment has got to be against the law!!
polymer

Harassment by Neighbor

Postby Emeraldstar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:12 pm

Hi All
I would research options to have a filming device installed by your door to catch the actions. And don't mention it to anyone. After you have something then submitt copies with a letter asking to have the harassment cease, send RRR to the management. Request a copy of their notice to the other person.
Take dated pics of any other signs they leave in the bld. You could also record conversations you have with this person. As long as you are partaking in the talk it's legal. Search this forum, there is a post on the topic recording.
Get or hold onto copies of the inspection findings.
This hopefully will stop, but if it does not, you'll have enough to file a harassment complaint with the police. Do so if needed, they will advise what happens from there. Jeeze, :roll: sorry for your troubles Good Luck
Emeraldstar

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues