TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Kitchen Floor repairs

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Kitchen Floor repairs

Postby SinglemomintheBronx » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:22 pm

:?: The tiles on my kitchen floor have never been replaces since i moved here about 7 yrs ago. They've been in a horrible condition for a few years. I don't even have tile in most spots. I found someone to repair the floor for me. Would I be able to subtract that amount from the rent? Do i need the LL's permission first? This bldg has been disorganized since i moved here. The president got a management co to help w/ taking care of the bldg, that company is no longer w/ us since last yr, then we had another co take over. We just received a letter one day in our mailboxes w/ just a p.o. box for them and no number. We just recently met these plp so i haven't been able to get a contact besides a p.o. box to mail payment to. Now they are trying to help us keep our bldg, but my floors are nasty. Should I go ahead and fix the floors and subtract the fees?
SinglemomintheBronx

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:35 pm

There is no law in NYC that allows "repair and deduct" although I've seen some judges allow it, but that is after a LL hauled to tenant into Housing Court. I would get it in writing from the LL before proceeding, or -- at a minimum -- have good documentation that you've asked for repairs, that you've given access and nothing happened. Of course you could try it, but there's always the chance the LL won't accept it and haul you into court.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Kitchen floor repairs

Postby SinglemomintheBronx » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:36 pm

I love this site! I did request repairs when i was taken to court 2 yrs ago for late payment. tha'ts another story. The lawyer for the bldg pulled me out the courtroom before we got to see the judge i signed a form and he asked me if anything had to be done in the apt i told him and nothing has been done since. this was 2 yrs ago. I'll just go ahead and cough up the money myself.
SinglemomintheBronx

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:02 pm

If the paper you signed (don't sign anything unless you know what it is and how it impacts you) was a so-ordered stipulation that says the LL will do repairs, you might be able to go back to court for relief. Or you can file a HP action. But notify them first ... it's easier in the long run.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues