TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Section 8 question - is it illegal?

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Section 8 question - is it illegal?

Postby tiredsecy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 pm

I've seen several ads where the landlord states emphatically that he's not accepting any programs, some specifically mention no section 8.

Some ads don't say anything about it at all until you contact them and ask and then they say they don't take section 8. If it's not illegal, why don't they post it on their ad to save one the trouble of calling them?

Is this illegal in New York? I know it's illegal in Massachusetts for a landlord to refuse to rent to you if you have a Section 8 voucher or ask if they take section 8.
tiredsecy

Postby cardinalfang » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:16 am

As of today it is not illegal for a LL to refuse to accept a section 8 voucher from a prospective tenant unless the LL gets a subsidy (e.g., J-51 tax benefits) that prohibit discrimination against section 8 voucher holders. However, the NY City Council has just passed a bill that bans discrimination based on a tenant's lawful source of income, including section 8 assistance. Mayor Bloomberg has said he would veto the bill, so it will become law only if the Council overrides the veto.
cardinalfang

Postby jkgal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm

Hello,

Verrrry, verrry interesting, cardinalfang! Are you possibly referring to Mr. De Blasio, a City Councilperson from Brooklyn, about whom an article was written in the NYT regarding landlord discrimination about Section 8 vouchers, and his plans to propose legislation to stop this discrimination? I'm paraphrasing here, of course. Here's the article.

OK - as I was searching for the article - I found this, below. Indeed, the Mayor DID veto the bill, but it appears as though the City Council's voting majority for the bill will override the veto.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/01/nyreg ... n+8&st=nyt

Best wishes,

jkgal
jkgal

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues