TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

tenant conundrum

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

tenant conundrum

Postby tangerine » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:34 pm

i'm in a coop that went coop in the 80s, and we have a holdover tenant. she is beyond mentally disabled, she's a nutcase

she is section 8 and on disability. her daughter, not on the lease, is living here illiegally: section 8 does not have her on file. however, because she's older than 61 (the tenant/mother) section 8 will do nothing to remove her or seek recompense. regardless, the tenant claims she is terrified of becoming homeless (this is her big thing, screaming this)

said tenant has been battling with another unit owner about noise she (tenant) creates. we brought tenant to professional mediation with our board lawyer, and an agreement was made and signed by all parties. (tenant brought her smarmy lawyer). she also agreed to stop calling the city and making false claims about our building to the point that the DOB keep showing up...

2 weeks later and she's violating the 2 of the agreed upon noise "rules" created at the mediation. what do we do? call the police? bang on her door?

i really believe in strong tenant laws, but this particular case is an example where a tenant is destroying the peaceful living in a small building, and it seems there is nothing we can do about it but move.

ideas welcome.
tangerine

Postby TenantNet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:51 am

You're at TenantNet, not LL.net. Wrong place.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby tangerine » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:21 am

thank you for that, it was helpful and sarcastic.

legally the owner in question is also a tenant in this building and as such is, under this law, provided by all of the same rights as any other tenant. so let's try this again, shall we?
tangerine

Postby cestmoi123 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:33 am

Tangerine - you know better than that. While the owners of co-ops are technically "tenants," they're not tenants in the sense that a true renter is, and you know that.

Honestly, if you have a lawyer, why are you coming to a message board for help?
cestmoi123

Postby TenantNet » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am

Who is being sarcastic?
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby philiptries » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:37 am

Why is her lawyer smarmy? She was smart to bring a lawyer.

I have a neighbor who thinks he's John Lennon. He practices all day and all night. It was kinda charming at first. A $2 packet of earplugs from the drugstore was one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I didn't even have to call a lawyer.
philiptries

Postby jkgal » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:53 pm

Hello,

Jeez, I saw a similar thing on another thread - a problematic tenant, and a description of the problem. On the other board, as well, was a mini diatribe about the tenant's financial, or r/s status, as though, all together, that made the tenant action more grievous. I posit that even if the tenant owned a co-op, and wasn't a 'holdover', the problem would be exactly the same for you. Noise problems are one thing. If they're that bad, call the po pos. The financial/ legal status of the noisemaker doesn't seem the issue.

jkgal
jkgal

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues