TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

A New Day for Section 8?

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

A New Day for Section 8?

Postby rocinante » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:00 pm

The City Council this week voted to override Mayor Michael Bloomberg's veto on a bill that bans discrimination on the source of income by tenants. This legislation, essentially, requires landlords to not refuse Section 8 vouchers and, I assume other rent subsidies.

My name is on the list for Section 8 voucher. Yes, I was among the lucky New Yorkers who were permitted to apply when the lists were opened briefly (but among the unluckly NYers who need and qualify for the voucher.) I have been informed that I may be called for an interview soon. An interview does not guarantee a voucher, even if all elegibility criteria are met.

My landlord has refused to accept Section 8 in the past from any tenant in any of his buildings.

If I were to receive a voucher would my landlord be required to accept the voucher as a subsidy for my rent?

Are there are issues that would disqualify my apartment or building from the Section 8 program?

Rocinante
rocinante

Postby jkgal » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:19 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the information, rocinante. I just received my Section 8 Voucher, I'm pleased to say - and I wish you luck, as well, with this. LLs are telling me, or having management or other representatives tell me that they don't accept Section 8. Can anyone comment about this? BTW, should this NOT be the first thing I mention to a prospective LL? Maybe I should see the place, meet the management, etc., and then wait to be turned down for the Section 8 reason? And, if I am, what can I do?

Best,

jkgal
jkgal

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues