TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

In a co-op building WHO is responsible for WHAT?

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

In a co-op building WHO is responsible for WHAT?

Postby Pbot » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:54 am

Hey, all.

I am renting an apt. from 2 people who own the apt. but not the building. These owners answer to the management company and a board that the management company is on. But who is responsible for handling a noisy neighbor when the neighbor is violating several NYC noise codes as well as my Warranty of Habitability?

I've complained to my landlords, they complained to management. I also complained to management, as has a neighbor. The person upstairs has 2 apts. (which is why the neighbor has also heard her [and, btw, has had problems w/the upstairs woman for 3 years]) and management told me they're hesitant to make waves with the woman b/c she has "lots of power on the co-op board" b/c she owns 2 apts.

Management SAY they've called her, but it hasn't helped. They refuse to do anything further (like send a letter from their legal reps). As far as I know, making noise this much, especially at those hours, is a violation of several noise ordinances as well as a violation of my Warranty of Habitability. I also believe she is supposed to have floor covering and does not.

My landlords, the co-op owners, have apparently been threatened by management that, if I don't stop complaining, they'll be taken to court over something or other. Management has also inquired of my other neighbors to see if I or my dog make noise (I know one neighbor who told them "no" -- don't know what the other said).

So, basically, what are my rights?

I also want to mention that the building has mice, an elevator door on my floor that slams loud enough it can be heard in the apt., and we're unable to get to both the garbage cans and laundry room after 7:30pm (the former of these forces people to leave piles of garbage by a side door just outside the lobby [but still in the building]). Aren't all these a variety of violations too?
Last edited by Pbot on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pbot

Postby TenantNet » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:00 am

The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Pbot » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 pm

I've read that page and the articles therein...I need to know who is responsible in a co-op situation and how best to handle it.

Please read the post.
Pbot

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues