TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Looking to buy HDFC Co-op. Need help

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Looking to buy HDFC Co-op. Need help

Postby GROM » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi,

I am a first time buyer. I found a freshly renovated HDFC Co-op in the Bronx, which I can afford. I grabbed the application, and it's been hell since then. The manager is very hard to deal with. Every time when I called or she called me, I would get a different answer to my questions. Once she (the manager) said the apartment is taken, then it's not, then it is for rent, then it's not, then I'm approved and all I have to do is show up with a check, and I even heard that from her that I tried to bribe her with a $65 check, which was for the credit score check.

So, I spoke with another council member from the building, and my application was sent to the City. I just found out, it was sent back to the manager, and was told that all I need is a check to buy the place, and she'll give me a "receipt".

I was never told anything about a contract, downpayment (and how much).

What should I do? Should I get a lawyer? If so, do you know where I could find one that knows how HDFC operates?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
GROM

Postby TenantNet » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:22 pm

Look at a coop related site. Or try http://forums.delphiforums.com/HDFCCentral/start
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues