TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Fire in Apartment Building - My apartment was affected.

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Fire in Apartment Building - My apartment was affected.

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:01 am

Hello there. I was directed to this forum in hopes of getting some advice.

There was a fire is my apartment building last month and due to it, I cannot live in my apartment until everything is repaired. The tenants below me caused it (malicious intent hasnt been proven yet). However, the city came and deemed my apartment as a partial evacuation because they saw the boarded up windows (one leading to the fire escape) So there is no alternate route.

Most of the damage came from the firefighters when they broke down the door and windows and some walls. My apartment was NOT burned. It just suffered smoke damage.

I have been in talks with the building manager who works for a larger management company and he simply does not have any time frame. The only thing I hear about cleanup and fixing is "Adjusters are coming again".
There insurance company finally gave the ok to clean up the public areas (hallways) of the smoke and crap. Nothing about the 3 apartments yet. He also mentioned to give $1 rent a month to prove that I want to keep the apartment (which I do want to keep). I also filed a report (cant remember the number, but I went downtown to submit it) in regards to a rent reduction and the city instructed me to write across the report “FIRE CASE” because they do not have a proper form for it. I called 311 and was directed to the fire marshal office for this. They told me all that fun stuff. I also filed for a Fire Marshal report because I want to know the reason for the fire.

Ok, so now you know the story. It’s been a month. As a tenant, what rights do I have in this situation? I want to keep this place as it is a great place and good people live there, but I do not have a time frame. Is management obligated to give a time frame? If so, is there an acceptable amount of time? In all seriousness, my apartment can be fixed in easily 2 days. It just takes new glass for the windows and new dry wall and paint. That’s ALL that it needs. (maybe charcoal for the smell)
Hitokiri

Postby TenantNet » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 am

The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:37 am

wow, im glad to see I did almost all of that. But I was VERY discouraged with the thought of it taking 6 - 9 months to get back in when I can easily higher someone myself to fix the damaged windows and walls in 2 days.

I was lost however on what an HP is. I guess I missed the original definition of it.
Hitokiri

Postby TenantNet » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:01 am

a "HP" is a Housing Part proceeding, where tenants can sue landlords in Housing Court for bad conditions. See the info on the Court section of the website.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:19 am

ah, so it looks like my next step is legal counsel.

I will search this forum for any recommendations of brooklyn attorneys.

Thanks for the help!
Hitokiri

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues