TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Re: Package Delivery Problems

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: Package Delivery Problems

Postby Snooze » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:48 pm

Hello all,

I was about to write a letter to our building regarding this annoying problem, but I thought that it would be a good idea to ask everyone in the forum first, so here it goes.

About a week ago, I get a notice the front door of our building saying that I missed a delivery attempt from UPS and it was their FINAL ATTEMPT. Scared that my package might be returned to sender, I login and type in the tracking number, and low and behold, it had been signed for. Slightly weirded out, I go snooping around to find who in the Supers' building signed for it. Found the name, and get told that it is in the basement and that the security guard could let me in. He did, and I find my package, BUT...while looking for my package, I find ANOTHER package that until now presumed was lost. In-fact it was a box of checks that I had been waiting for and had to get replaced. Not the sort of thing that I want sitting in the basement of my 150+ unit complex, especially when they just let me "find" my package without showing them anything. Moderately annoyed at that point.

Now, just last friday I emailed a company that I had sent something in for repair, to check the status because I hadn't received any replacement. They send me a tracking number, and guess what... it was delivered 3 days ago, no notification whatsoever.

I'm assuming that this isn't OK.

Any ideas with how to handle this sort of problem? They are signed by different people, so it's not like there is one Super that I can address this issue to.

Thanks in advance,
Seth
Snooze

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:29 pm

You don't say if you're regulated and if the service of accepting packages is a required service, or if unregulated a service that has been provided as part of the amenities of the building.

You can a) try to have the LL -- and by extension the employees -- to act responsibly, or

b) forbid them from accepting packages. If they do, file police complaints.

The latter means you will need to be around to accept the packages, or designate someone.

In either case, you have one landlord. You can deal with it officially, or speak to the employees quietly if you think it better handled without becoming a big deal.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Tips

Postby Emeraldstar » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi All
I have my pkgs sent to a neighbor who is retired. My bld staff did the signings because they were looking for tips. Mind you I never asked for the "service" either nor is it part of policy. I felt minipulated & if I'm asking for pkgs it was not worth a tip. :roll:
Emeraldstar

Postby concord » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Alternatively, you can instruct the sender to send the UPS package to a retail UPS store and to your attention. You can find UPS retail stores in the ‘Locator’ option on UPS’ website.

The retail UPS store shall charge you $5.00 to accept and hold the package for you. (They may refuse UPS Ground deliveries however; not sure – give them a call.)
concord

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Concord that's not a solution if it's a building service. Come on.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby concord » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Tenantnet,
You are right; I should have considered the possibility that it may be a service that the tenant is entitled to. Apologies.
concord

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues