TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord Assistance Program questions

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord Assistance Program questions

Postby diese » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:49 pm

I have several questions pertaining to tenants rights for tenants who participate in a Landlord Assistance Program [LAP], in New York City (I was unable to find any pertinant information elsewhere on the forum). Specifically, I live on Roosevelt Island in a post-Mitchell Lama building where over a hundred units participate in the LAP, but the majority of tenants are on Section 8 vouchers.
Firstly, who runs LAPs? In other words who pays the difference in rent between tenants payment and market value rent? (New York City?)

Secondly, when researching issues like subleasing, rent increases and lease sucession under which category of building should I look, unregulated, rent stabilized or section 8? For example, I know in some instances the LAPs are tied to rent stabilization rent increases, is that on a case by case basis or across the board?

And finally, is there anywhere I can find answers to LAP questions (other than here) or will I have to discect my lease and the building-tenant agreement?

Thanks
diese

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Do you mean SCRIE? Never heard of LAP.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby diese » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 am

...that doesn't bode well for me. I am not familiar with SCRIE. However I can tell you, from my limited experience, that Landlord Assistance Programs are common to buildings who transition out of Mitchell Lama. It seems LAPs are negotiated during the buy out process, and allow tenants (who do not qualify for Section 8 enhanced vouchers) to remain in their apartments with only minmal rent increases. It is unclear to me who picks up the tab.

Does that help? Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding my original questions?
diese

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 am

As you say, it may be part of a negotiated settlement and not a governmental program.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues