TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Question on breaking a co-op sublease

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Question on breaking a co-op sublease

Postby Guerita » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:36 pm

I have been renting in a co-op bldg for the last 4.5 yrs. Since it is a co-op, techinically I have a sublease from the "owner/shareholder." My company is transferring me. The lease is up at the end of May 2010. When I first approached my landlord he told me I had two options a) company buy-out lease or b) I can have the lease assigned to another person (and I have a colleague interested already) and my company pay that broker fee (and any fees until it is filled). He was supposed to put this in writing.

When I called him back as a week had passed without receiving anything in writing, he drastically changed his tune and said only buying-out the lease is an option and he no longer wants to go thru the "hassel" of renting it out, etc and would like to keep it empty and make repairs on it. He said to me "if the company wants you so badly, they have to pay."

What are my options? If it comes down to it, the company WILL pay but they want me to continue researching this. From what I found on the RBG website - I don't know if this applies to co-op's though - I can tell them that I want to reassign a lease and he has to give me a good reason not to or I read elsewhere I can write to him and say I am surrendering the keys and apt on X day and if I don't hear back with a "no" I can do that.

Thanks!
Guerita

Postby gyrate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Why is this post ignored? Can you guys not give advice about breaking leases?
gyrate

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:52 pm

This is a participatory forum, not a Q&A.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues