TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I live in a SRO that has been sold 2 b remodeled ... advice?

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

I live in a SRO that has been sold 2 b remodeled ... advice?

Postby DISCHARGEARRAY » Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 am

I live in a single room occupancy building right near union square. It was recently sold, to be remodeled by the new owner into apartments.

I've been living here for 3 months. Standard lease for two months then changed to month to month. It's not rent stabilized though there are units that are ... an older guy pays $300/mo and said he was "grandfathered in" my rent is $925/mo.

Am I in a position to get a settlement when they ask me to move? Should I seek legal defense? What questions should I ask the real estate agent who sold it? He lives here.

Ask any questions you need to give me better advice. Thanks!
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 11:51 am

Postby TenantNet » Tue May 24, 2011 10:23 am

Why do you say it's not rent stabilized? Most SRO's are RS. Have you asked for a lease (a RS lease)? What did they say? Have you consulted with a tenant attorney or advocacy group?

The closest group I know would be the Chelsea Coalition on Housing. I think they meet at the Hudson Guild at 441 W 26 St., but I'm not certain about days and times. Call the Hudson Guild for that info.

Also, I think the Village Independent Democrats has a tenant clinic. Where and when, I don't know.

But see here: http://www.villagedemocrats.org/tenants-clinic
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 9305
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest