TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Shared meter law, NYS

Moderator: TenantNet

Shared meter law, NYS

Postby Siddles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:56 am

Good morning,

I am a tenant in a multi-family residence in Orange County, NY. The owner has maintained the gas bills in her name, but requires us to reimburse her based on the Orange & Rockland bills. I have recently become aware that the bills she is presenting us are for a "shared meter," and she is charging us in full for a meter that covers not only our leased unit, but a second leased unit, her private space, and the common areas.

I am neither the utility customer nor the owner, but I can prove that she has required me to reimburse her directly for the gas bill with copies of her correspondence and cancelled checks.

I will need to determine the correct usage by my unit, in order to request a refund from the owner. The owner/customer has refused to request a shared meter investigation. As a "third party" rather than customer or owner, am I allowed by law to request a shared meter investigation to determine the correct usage I should be paying for?
Siddles

Postby TenantNet » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:11 am

This thread is locked. Please change your username to something not resembling your real name or email address, and then let us know the new username. See the Forum Rules why we do this.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion