TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Flea Infestation and Slacking Landlord

Moderator: TenantNet

Flea Infestation and Slacking Landlord

Postby lasthourstand » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi everyone. I'm having a bit of an issue with my landlord.

I live in an apartment complex in Marcellus, NY and am currently battling a flea infestation. Although my roommate and I have a cat, she's an indoor and hasn't been in the apartment for almost 2 months for unrelated reasons. This tells me that the fleas are coming from somewhere else in the complex. Here's the timeline I'm working with:

Friday, Oct 11, 2013
Discovered flea infestation.

Satruday, Oct 12, 2013
Notified maintenance about the infestation.

Monday, Oct 14, 2013
Contacted the leasing agent to ensure that she was notified of the infestation. She stated that she was and would be talking to the complex manager that day about it.

Monday, Oct 14, 2013
I contacted the leasing agent again for details on the scheduling of an exterminator. She said the complex manager would schedule the exterminator and she would let me know when he was coming.

Wednesday, Oct 16, 2013
I contacted the leasing agent again about a date for the exterminator. She said she had to get a document signed by me (when she made a copy) to allow them to enter the apartment to spray for the fleas, but she wouldn't have a date from the complex manager until Friday.

Friday, Oct 18, 2013
Contact the leasing agent about the date for the exterminator. She told me that he wouldn't be available until the week after next (~Oct 28).

So, when the exterminator finally shows up, I will have been living with this infestation for almost 2.5 weeks. I've sprayed the apartment myself with Raid and washed all the cloth items I can, but we still have some fleas kicking around which is making life quite unpleasant. My question is, what is considered a reasonable timeframe for getting rid of the infestation? Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks everyone!
lasthourstand

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:57 pm

Just make sure you keep a record and follow-up in writing to the landlord. 2.5 weeks is reasonable, but it's not outrageous. In NYC some people go without heat for years. So keep after them. The squeaky wheel gets oiled.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion