TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Painting of Apartment -- Rockland County, NY

Moderator: TenantNet

Painting of Apartment -- Rockland County, NY

Postby yellowcrayon1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:08 pm

I live in Rockland County, NY so I don't know if this is where I should post or in the Outside NYC area. Anyway I'll post here for now.

I have been living in my apartment for 10.5 years and would very much like to move as soon as possible and will definitely need my deposit back. My question is: She never painted the apartment before I moved in and it was pretty shabby but not that bad. 3 years later I painted the entire apartment at my own cost. I did not paint it white but a very light neutral beige. It's now been 7 years since I painted and I'm wondering if she can legally use the fact that I didn't paint it white to take painting costs out of my deposit. I also resanded and stained the floors (with her permission) at a cost of $700. The floors are beautiful and she loves them but due to some flooding from my patio because of bad drainage that has been going on for three years to which she never fixed, the floors have a few tiny issues (plus the flooding cost me $2000 in runied rugs). I also completely redid the bathroom by putting in a new medicine cabinet; new storage cabinet and lighting plus painting (again, with her permission) at a cost of @$600. Unfortunately, I do not have receipts for any of this because I've never had a problem with a landlord regarding my deposit -- but this woman will try to nickel me down just to avoid paying it to me. The apartment is clean and anything I have broken I have repaired. Does she have any standing?

Thanks so much.
yellowcrayon1

Return to NYS General Discussion