TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Losing It

Moderator: TenantNet

Losing It

Postby melissah74 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:30 pm

So I'm still having problems with my landlord and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this guy. I live in NY state in a non-regulated apartment. I have a one year lease and am getting the hell out as soon as it is over. I wrote last week about him forbidding me from having my boyfriend move in. Y'all gave me good advice on where to find the information I needed i.e. RPL Roommate Law. But someone said that they thought that legally I could have someone move in without incurring any extra fees and I can't find anywhere that says that in the RPL. My landlord does pay for water and electricity but I work from home - it's not as if there would be much extra utilities. I found out that the woman who lived here before me had her rent doubled when her boyfriend moved in with her. The LL has been doing work on the building (the building inspector is paying a visit soon) and has been telling the guys that he's working with that he's had problems with tenants in the past and he just had "some friends pay her a little visit". To top it off everytime he comes to my door and manages to stick his neck in he makes another comment about how I am ruining his (shithole) apartment, "The carpet has a bump in it. You have ruined my carpet." His cheap $100 mega-roll of carpet has so many strands lying around that it's burning up my $200 vaccuum cleaner so I say we call it even. The toilet runs literally steaming hot water like some kind of ass backward (I apologize for the unintentional bad pun) bidet/sauna. If, after I flush, I forget and put the lid down, when I return I have to resignedly grab a tissue and mop the condensation off the seat. But worst of all, none of the windows have screens. They didn't have them when I moved in but it was the end of September and I had no idea what was coming. The weather was kind of...balmy and there weren't any bugs. Well balmy it's not and there are plenty of bugs. I ate one last night. By mistake. I was being reckless and...talking. If I don't close the windows on time my ceiling becomes literally (and I don't use 'literally' loosely) blanketed with bugs. Gnats mostly. And mosquitos. Gnats seem like harmless little things on their own but in the hundreds of thousands they are actually almost scary. So, close the windows. But, me, moving to the "balmy" northeast in SEPTEMBER from the South didn't thing it was a big deal to sign a lease that said you must eat bugs and not have an air conditioner. (Actually it just mentioned the air conditioner part.) And it's hot. Hot like I'm on the 2nd floor and the thermometer reads 88 degrees. I have allergies and between the air feeling hot and thick and not being able to breathe through my nose every once in a while I start freaking out and halfway convince myself that I'm going to have some sort of panic attack. I think about how I can't breath then uselessly try to snort air up my nose while franticly pacing around the apartment. All it does is make me hotter and make my dog look at me funny. Anyway, if anyone is still reading, I said all that so that I could ask about screens. I have read on this site people say unequivocably "no, LLs are not responsible for screens" and I have read that sometimes it might be mandated by local city councils. If anyone knows I would love to have that information. I apologize for rambling but what with trying to figure all of this out, being threatened with physical violence, fighting swarms of bugs and then, cleaning up their mass graves in the morning I am losing it. Off to close my windows.
melissah74

Re: Losing It

Postby Aubergine » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:10 pm

If you could be more specific about your location, resarching the applicable laws might be possible. I can find nothing in the Multiple Residence Law that mandates screens.

Hardware stores carry removable window screens that expand to fit the window opening. You might want to check out this option.
Aubergine

Postby Downtown » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:20 am

Those removable screens come in all sizes and expand to snuggly fit within your window frame. Can find them at affordable prices at Hardware or Home D.
Use your security deposit for the last month's rent...take dated pics of the clean apt. That way LL would have to take you to court and try to prove real damage beyond wear and tear.
Obviously, LL is prohibiting air conditioners because he doesn't want to pay extra utilities.
If you thought he would agree, most units have running cost and you could agree to pay extra.
Check your local ordinances for screens...but would buy others now....could always deduct from rent if screens are required.
Downtown

Postby melissah74 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:31 am

thanks I'll have to check that out. Unfortunately, the vast majority of my windows are the cursed "irregular" variety but you never know. It is definitely worth it to check. I read somewhere else on the forum that someone suggested blackout shades for the heat. I'm not familiar with those but I'm going to look for those too. I live near MA. I realize the differences that apply legally between NYC and New York state. Are there then differences that apply to different parts of New York state?
melissah74

Postby melissah74 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:42 am

Checking local ordinances - is that something I would find at the town hall? I've checked and the town hall is NOT online. I live in a town with a population of about 105, including myself (I'm exaggerating but it's small), and I think town hall is part of the gas station (not exaggerating that part).
melissah74

Postby Downtown » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:12 am

Go to the gas station and when the Mayor is done pumping gas (only kidding) ask to see local laws concerning screens.
You might be able to find a local atty. for a small consultation fee to answer roommate/screen questions.
Downtown

Postby HardKnocks » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:07 pm

I envy you... my AC-less apartment has been at 92-94 degrees every day this week.

In any event, even if you can't find ready made screens to fit the windows, you can buy loose mesh (you know the screen part of the screen, without the frame), cut it down and then duct-tape it if you have to, across the open part of the window. That might be your best option if you don't want to spend money on a place you're planning to leave soon.

<small>[ June 11, 2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Bleary-eyed tenant ]</small>
HardKnocks

Postby melissah74 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:53 am

I never would have thought of that - thanks! That is a great idea. I am so sorry about your 90 plus degree temperatures. You could pray for a REALLY hot streak and start renting out space in your apartment for Bikram yoga. Lemons into lemonade and all that. Good luck.
melissah74

Return to NYS General Discussion