TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

mishandling or security/rent payments

Moderator: TenantNet

mishandling or security/rent payments

Postby LRM » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:17 pm

We moved into an apartment in Westchester County in late June, for which we are paying market-price rents. The building has an (excellent) onsite manager, an owner we can’t reach, and a NYC-based management company that has been handling our security and rent payments in a rather odd way. Here is a brief summary of the problems:

1. Our security deposit (which we had given to our realtor) was applied to the wrong building. As a result, an additional charge of one month’s rent was applied to our statements for August and September.
2. We eventually problem #1 rectified after repeat visits to the management office. The person there claimed that somewhat else had made the error. He gave us a copy of a list with information about where the error was made – which included names of tenants and their social security numbers. (Query: Shouldn’t this information be kept confidential?)
3. We delivered our check for the September rent to the management office agent in person in late August. It never cleared. When we asked the agent where it was, he claimed to know nothing.
4. We told our onsite manager about the above problems. She is not happy with the management company, and now wants us to give her a letter itemizing the problems. She also wants us to give the rent checks directly to her.
5. Not knowing whom to ask about these problems, I contacted HUD. The
person there wasn’t sure what government agency is appropriate, but
advised that these errors could indicate misappropriation of funds. He also
suggested that we get an attorney.

I‘ve rented a lot of apartments over the years, and I’ve never experienced these kinds of problems. Can anyone suggest whom I might contact about these problems? Which (if any) agency is appropriate?
LRM

Return to NYS General Discussion