TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Related Topic (to below thread)

Moderator: TenantNet

Related Topic (to below thread)

Postby doglovers2 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:13 am

Okay, I need help to find resources. Here's the problem. My landlord - a lovely, irresponsible, 21 year old girl - has told us that she will not renew our lease because she found someone else who will pay much more than us (something to that effect). She never offered it to us, nor offered us a price, and I'm trying to guage how much of an increase she can actually by law hold per year (I think it is 10% but I'm not sure). The problem is, she refuses to extend our lease about 3 months until I am done with my semester of classes (I'm a Professor) and we're moving out of the area in the Summer. So, thanks to her, we'd have to move in March and then again in June, which is expensive and disruptive, that is, if we could even FIND a place that would take us for 3-4 months (month to month lease).

Do we have any rights here? Shouldn't she have to offer a year lease to us FIRST before other people? How much can she raise it legally per year in NYS?

Any help would be much appreciated.

DHF
doglovers2

Re: Related Topic (to below thread)

Postby doglovers2 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:35 am

I forgot to mention that we've always paid our rent on time and were ideal tenants so she should have no reason NOT to want us living there, except for the fact that she now wants more money.
doglovers2

Re: Related Topic (to below thread)

Postby HAJ77 » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:19 am

If the unit is not regulated, which being in Buffalo it isn't, then they do not have to offer you a new lease and can charge any amount they choose for the apartment. Usually they inform you that they will not renew the lease, which your landlord did several months before the terms ended. So, she is fully within her rights to not renew the lease and/or charger any amount she wants for the apartment.
HAJ77

Return to NYS General Discussion