TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Crying Baby

Moderator: TenantNet

Crying Baby

Postby Pauline » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:42 pm

I just moved into half house. My 2year old grandson and his mom live with me. It is a court with about 6 buildings. The woman next to me has been complaining (not to me) but to the landlord that my grandson's crying is too much for her. Yes he crys but not often and not for long. Like any 2year old. She has a 7 year old child. I was babysitting my other daughters baby for the afternoon (1mo old)and she went over to the landlord and complained and they asked me to call my daughter and have her pick up her child it is annoying to the tenant next to me. The landlord was aware that my 2year old grandson would be moving in with me and it is listed on the lease agreement. I have been there now for 3months and he would like to evict me because the woman next door has been there for 4 years and she has been over to his house on several occasions complaining about my grandson that he crys too much. The building next to me has a 3month old baby and you hear her cry but i would not think of complaining about it. I'm stuck because i just cant afford to move again. I moved from a drug infested area into this area and there is not much available out there at what i can afford. My daughter can't afford it out on her own. I tried talking to the woman next door but she won't talk to me. I don't want to make her life miserable but i just can not afford to move again. She has complained so many times that the landlord just feels the only answer is to evict me!!! Any suggestions on how to handle this neighbor and situation i'm in?
PL
Pauline

Re: Crying Baby

Postby necii » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:29 pm

do you have a lease? i would think there isnt much a landlord could do if the baby isnt up screaming all night. you could call your local county clerk for landlord/tenant infor or see of their is a tenants group in your area.
necii

Postby HS77 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:18 pm

A landlord has to prove that a tenant is disrupting the peace and quiet of other tenants in order to prove that he or she is causing a disruption. Otherwise there is nothing he can do to you. If other tenants feel strongly and would testify, in housing court...your pretty much done for. But this will never happen.

Second of all i mean, some people u and i know are just a$$holes..and complain about everything. I mean do your best to curb your baby and all is good. Most landlords will not bother with a noisy baby, just try to scare you into shutting your baby up at most. As for the pain in the but complaining...let her be. Can't make everyone happy.

Take care,
HS77

Postby Lilly » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:32 am

No judge will evict based upon a crying baby, irregardless of how much the baby cries, unless there was somthing else going on, abuse, etc which I'm sure is not the case here. There is normal noise asscoiated with apartment living.It takes a judge to sign an eviction order and then a marshall to carry it out. LL can't simply toss you out. Go on the offensive and file a complaint with thepolice that this woman is threatening you. Then you'll be in a stronger position should anything actually happen re the landlord. You've got a lease, you're good till the end of the lease. He tries to evict you, kick his butt, so to speak.
Lilly

Postby Pauline » Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:03 am

Thanks for the replies. Here I'm thinkig that the woman who lives with the caretaker is the landlord. She once stated to me that she is part owner. I have since found out that she is not but a long time tenant. I just received a letter from the landlord telling me that my daughter is has been obnoxious and can't control her son and even stated that I'm probaly not aware of the situation seeing that I am just a vistor and not living in my apartment. What a bunch of crap. One can only assume where he got that idea from the two busy bodies. These small town gossipers are really something. In the letter he stated that other tenants have been complaining so I decided to go around and apolgize and to let them know that if my grandson gets to be too much to please come over and let me know and i could take him to my sisters house or stay at the park later than normal. Everyone of them have toddlers or babies and chuckled at me. One stated that this is just the beginning. The caretakers live-in girlfriend has been harrasing them also and one tenant came close to a nervous breakdown. I apparently am Carol's next victim. I'm currently trying to do some research. Yes the landlord didn't discriminate against children but it seems that his caretakers live-in girlfriend is doing alot of it. The saga continues.
PL
Pauline

Return to NYS General Discussion