TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL problems

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: LL problems

Postby TenantNet » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:10 pm

Sounds like the mailman is giving you a line. If the LL is stealing the mail, that's mail fraud. I'd go to a higher level. The PO has complete sections devoted just to mail fraud.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby tomi » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:19 pm

when i asked the mail guy what i could do about it he actually laughed at me....he said there is nothing i can do at all and that since its illegal (this was the first person who told me it was, our neighborhood has been his route for yrs as my neighbor told me) that by law we cant even put a second box out..our last resort is a PO box because even when speaking directly to our town post office they said once the mail is delivered its no longer their problem...im beginning to wonder if everyone in this town is out of their mind..not like it matters, i live in deer park
tomi

Postby HardKnocks » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:37 pm

That's crazy. So what your mailman is saying is that he is knowingly and consistently delivering your mail to someone other than you. That is against the law.
HardKnocks

Postby tomi » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:56 am

yep i guess that sounds about right..im not joking either, he really did laugh at me...a real jerk..i used to live in queens and there theyd actually take action if someone stole your mail, here they dont give a damn..ive always had problems with LLs, always get screwed..i was one here 2 yrs ago when my LL wanted me to move out when he found out i was pregnant..at that time i let it go because i was too busy preparing for my daughter, but this one i will bring down no matter what..i remembered this site as soon as we had problems..the first being when we moved in and there was no stove..LL said it would be in on the day we moved in and we had to insist for over a week before we got it..we should have known then but after that there really werent major problems for a while and we didnt want to move on short notice since once again i was pregnant...lol..my sons only 3 months old..i think the baby has something to do with the LLs problem though..they started refusing to do things right after they first saw him and were like "you only said you had one child"..hello, i was like 5-6 months pregnant when i moved in..im just so ready to be out of this place and this time we're looking on buying a house so we dont have to deal with this anymore....thanks again guys
tomi

Postby tomi » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:05 am

oh one last thing, a major part about why nothing is being done is because i told my husband to back away and let me handle the LL..problem is as i found out that my LL wants nothing to do with women (our neighbor says he will not speak to her, only her husband)..whenever i ask him a question he never answers.(i even have a meeting with him and his wife that i recorded to prove this one)..

<small>[ October 24, 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: tomi ]</small>
tomi

Postby HardKnocks » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:10 am

Please edit the racial comments from your post. ;)

EDIT: The poster suggested that her LL's attitude toward her might be due to gender discrimination in his culture. I got bent out of shape (as I do about these things) about that and she later edited that part out after we hashed it out here, which caused the thread to stop making sense and upset TN. Sorry to the OP and anyone else about any confusion caused by any misunderstanding.

<small>[ October 24, 2005, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: Bleary-eyed tenant ]</small>
HardKnocks

Postby Aubergine » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:05 pm

I don't read the above as "racial comments" at all. Tomi's observations suggest that the LL is reacting to her with what could most politely be called culturally-based hostility. Unfortunately, for her to continue to assert her "right" to deal with the LL herself, instead of through her husband, may be counterproductive. It's an unfortunate situation and getting out of there ASAP is probably the best course of action.
Aubergine

Postby HardKnocks » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:58 pm

When a previous poster suggested that she was being treated badly because her tormenters were Jewish and she was not, this was quite rightly deemed inappropriate. Likewise the unnecessary comments about "illegal Mexicans" doing renovations and landlords who "probably are just off the boat from Poland" etc. Racial comments are not appropriate for this forum, whether we're talking about Jewish or Pakistani people.

Whether or not the LL is nice to her as opposed to her husband and why is not the issue here. The LL's nationality has nothing to do with whether or not he is a responsible LL or if he's rented this family an illegal unit, and should not have been brought up.
HardKnocks

Postby Downtown » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:16 pm

Bottom line
Illegal apt. Rat infested. Garbage dump. No place to raise children....I wouldn't let my kids spend 1 more day there.
OP should be looking for immediate housing and then sue LL for deposit.
Downtown

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:28 pm

Bleary, I think the difference is that when someone says certain bad things are happening because the LL is [fill in a nationality, race or ethnic heritage] there's a prejudice at work.

I think here the OP is posting her observations and experiences of what could be termed gender discrimination that is probably inherent in some cultures or societies. I think it's all in the tone of the posting, not the mere mention of race or ethnic heritage. Some societies still carry deep-rooted gender discrimination. Acknowledging that it exists does not imply that it's right.

Maybe another example ... if someone were to come on the board and spoke of their "Jew Landlord," you can be sure I and others would have a fit. But OTOH, to say one's landlord refuses to fix something on a Saturday because they observe the Jewish sabbath, that's another thing altogether.

I tend to think the OP's comments fall more in the latter category.

TenantNet

Postby HardKnocks » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:14 pm

I think she's probably right about the gender discrimination. I just don't think it's an issue here. The LL is not doing these things because he's Pakistani or because she's a (white) woman. He's doing them because he's a scumbag and would most likely treat any other tenants the same way--the unit would still be illegal and he would still be loath to deal with any problems that might cost him money. Regardless of nationality or gender. This LL is no more willing to take care of these problems when dealing with the similarly Urdu-speaking husband.

I just don't think we should ever cloud the issues with unnecessary references to ethnic origin unless they are specifically at issue. If this same person had come here and said "this LL says he won't rent to me/fix my problems because I am not Pakistani [or Jewish, or white etc.] like he is," that would be different. Then such descriptive details would be appropriate, as they are specifically at issue. Here, they are not. The guy's just a horrible landlord, and they come in every flavor.
HardKnocks

Postby tomi » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:36 pm

hello, my husband is afghan...i have no problem with these people because of where they come from...i only meant it to say why they prefer to deal with him...i did not mean it as a racist comment whatsoever...
tomi

Postby TenantNet » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:13 pm

And I don't think it was based on the content and tone of your post. Every once in a while a poster will make a remark that is disparaging to one group or another. When that happens, a reaction does occur. Because it has happened before, there is a certain sensitivity to it.

TenantNet

Postby tomi » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:11 am

alright, dont worry u can lock the thread or whatever...bottom line is more then one person in this neighborhood has noticed a difference in the attitude of the LL depending on their sex\nationality...u might not think its an issue but me and definatly 2 of our neighbors think it is..hell even after an arguement where me and zack got into a fight with them the husband ended up cursing me out after ignoring me for an hour and then turned to zack and asked if they were still friends..im sorry u guys took what i said the wrong way..i did not mean it as a racist remark at all..if that were the case i'd have to hate half of my husbands family who live in that country..i meant only to explain that the reason they rented to us in the first place is because my husband actually lets them believe they are of the same nationality..i thought i should explain because i figured someone would say, "well if they dont like white people then whyd they rent to you?"...because they never met me personally until the day we moved in...i meant no harm in it at all...either way though, like i said, if you still find it as a "racist" remark lock or delete the thread...and once again, thanks for the input..ill make sure never to mention nationalities again..
tomi

Postby tomi » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:18 am

okay bleary-eyed i figured out what you meant by editing and obviously i cut that part out...
tomi

PreviousNext

Return to NYS General Discussion