TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL Sneaking In My Apt.

Moderator: TenantNet

LL Sneaking In My Apt.

Postby melissah74 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:05 am

My LL knew that I was going out of town this weekend and took the opportunity to enter my apartment and wander around. I'm 99.999% certain that he was in my apt. I am 100% certain that someone (with a key) was in my apartment. The LL and my boyfriend had a huge fight before we left to go out of town and he already dislikes me. I don't know what he did in here but since he has already threatened violence I was turning back my sheets to check for a severed horse head. I figure that when I ask him about it he will either lie and say he smelled gas, he thought the water was running blah, blah, blah or he will lie and say he wasn't here. Either way I would like to file a police report. Does anyone know what my rights are here? I would love any information and/or advice.
melissah74

Re: LL Sneaking In My Apt.

Postby Downtown » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:17 am

Forget the police report, just not enough evidence to pin on this weasel.
Change the lock cylinder and don't give LL a key.
LL probably trying to get you to leave...might want to start looking around and see if that is something that works for you.
Downtown

Postby HardKnocks » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:53 pm

one word:

Nannycam ;)
HardKnocks

Postby melissah74 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:42 pm

I was at the hardware store (still need more fans, screens etc.) and was so tempted to check out their supply of locks, bolts and such. But the lease clearly states " should a new lock be installed or an existing lock be altered or re-keyed, the tenant shall immediately deliver a duplicate key to the landlord at tenant's sole expense." On the other hand the lease also states, "the LL shall be permitted to enter the premises at reasonable times AND [my emphasis] upon two days notice to the tenant for the purpose of inspecting the property; for the purpose of maintaining the property; to ensure compliance with code or regulation; or in the case of an emergency." So to hell with it right? New locks.
melissah74

Postby Downtown » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:28 am

Depending on your lock not that hard to change the cylinder (and less obvious so super won't see). Then wait until LL or super mentions that their key doesn't work (you can claim just changed and were going to give a key). That's when you ask why were they entering the apt. without phoning.
Downtown

Postby melissah74 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Brilliant.
melissah74

Postby Iddabiddy35 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:20 am

I agree with Bleary-eyes - get a camera and put it in your apartment aimed at the door. There are many tenants in my building and that I know who have installed cameras and the results were amazing in one building where there was enough filmed evidence to fire the super for imporper entries into apartments.
Iddabiddy35

Postby ikatae » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:35 pm

Also - get the 9.99 door and window alarms - made by first alert and comes in a package of 4. At least when they do open that door - the noise [a piercing ultra decibel sound] will cause them some anxiety and draw some attention to them in case anyone else should notice.

http://www.seenontvproducts.net/firstalert/index.html?OVRAW=%22first%20alert%22%2B%22alarm%22&OVKEY=first%20alert%20alarm&OVMTC=standard
ikatae

Return to NYS General Discussion